LG direct drive washers are popular with customers. A new design has enabled to elongate the service life of the motor while keeping the machine within the affordable price segment.
Still, the appliances of this kind fail sometimes. Well, the maintenance of LG washing machines provided by the service centres is quite expensive.
Typical malfunctions of LG washing machines
According to statistics, LG direct drive washers may start to malfunction after five years of operation. Let’s consider how a common washer and a direct drive one work for us to find the way to troubleshooting.
The diagram of an LG washing machine:
The first one provides rotation of the drum with the drive belt. The motor of the second one rotates the drum directly. This motor has no brushes you need to replace when they wear. In case of breakage, you can immediately identify the reason – it is the motor, not the adjacent parts.
The rating of failures
- The heating element. It is the case if you notice the water is cold during the washing cycle, the powder dissipates poorly and leaves stains on clothes. You can make sure it is the heater that is failing measuring its resistance with a tester.
- The failure of the pressure switch. The water level switch controls the amount of water in the tub. When it breaks, you may notice your washer filling and draining immediately or the error code indicating excessive water flow. You can repair and replace the switch yourself.
- The bearings and seals. When the driving elements wear, you can hear rattling and noise during the cycle. You can spot the problem by rotating the drum manually. If you hear a rattle, then it is the bearings that are failing.
- The electronic module often suffers from power surges. The main module failure is a rare case, while wires and terminals often burn out.
- The drain pump. Due to the LG washer design, the drainage system is often clogged. So, if you notice that the washer drains the water improperly, you need to check the pump.
- The inlet valve may malfunction as well. You may repair the machine with your own hands by replacing this element.
LG washing machine error codes by MyApplianceRepairHouston.COM
How can the user get what part is broken in his LG washing machine? The washer is designed to inform the user of it. When a problem occurs, the system displays LG error codes.
My LG washer won’t start
Why won’t the machine start, how to resolve the malfunction?
- Check if the door is closed firmly. Press it tightly until you hear a click.
- Check the socket — perhaps the network voltage is too low. Connect it to another appliance: if the latter starts, the network is not the reason.
- Inspect the cord and the plug of the machine for damage. You may need to isolate the damaged parts if any, or you’d better replace the power cord.
- Turn the stop valve. If there is no water supply, the washing process cannot begin.
- At last, inspect the wiring of the machine. Remove the top panel of the machine by unscrewing the back two screws. Check the surge protector and wiring for faults.
How to replace a surge protector
- After unplugging the machine and removing the top cover, you can see the protector at the top.
- Remove the screws securing the protector on the rear panel.
- Pick up a new part and put the wires from the faulty protector to the new filter one by one.
- Then secure it with the bolts again.
The washer is filling, but the cycle will not start
You have started the machine, it is filling the water, but the cycle won’t start. What is the reason?
- The faulty heater. The water is not heated, so the wash will not start. If you need an urgent wash, try to choose a washing cycle without heating. This video will help you to replace the element:
- The faulty pressure switch or thermistor. The faulty switch won’t indicate the optimal water level in the tub. If the thermistor fails, the control module won’t get information about the temperature. The elements need replacement.
- The faulty main module of the washing machine LG. It makes the elements of the washer start.
- The faulty motor of the LG direct drive washing machine.
The water won’t enter the tub of the LG washer or the flow is too slow
How to troubleshoot:
- Open the stop valve to its full capacity. It may be closed or opened insufficiently.
- Check the intake hose. It might be bent or clogged.
- The filter screen may be clogged with debris as well. It is located between the intake hose and the intake valve — remove and clean it.
- The intake valve is malfunctioning. It is necessary to remove the top cover for checking and replacement. The valve is located at the top of the panel. You need to check the contacts with a multimeter, as well as to check the membrane which could wear out. If the fault is obvious, install a new part.
- If the pressure switch is broken, you can repair your LG washing machine yourself.
How to replace the water level switch
- Turn off the machine, remove the top panel by unscrewing the mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the wiring of the switch, remove the screws securing it.
- Remove the old switch, disconnect the hose.
- Install a new part in the reverse order.
The LG washer is clicking and rattling while working
If you can hear some loud clatter, rattling, jarring during a cycle, check if the load is enough. Just add some clothes to the drum.
The wear of bearings and seals is considered a more serious failure. You need to disassemble the washer completely and repair the drum to replace them.
My LG washer won’t drain
The reasons for that are as follows:
- The wrong cycle selection.
- A clog in the drain system (in the filter, branch pipe, pump).
You need to check the drain pump. How to do it:
- Open the hatch, pry off the rubber gasket, and remove the clamp.
- Disconnect the wiring of the lock and close the door.
- Remove the water left using the drain filter.
- Remove the cover of the filter by unscrewing the bolts.
- Lift the top panel by removing the screws.
- Pull out the detergent drawer.
- Remove the bolts in front of and behind it.
- Remove the control panel by loosening the latch.
- Unscrew the front panel. Remove it.
- Loosen the clamps of the circulation and drain hoses. Disconnect the hoses.
- Disconnect the clamps of the pump hoses.
- Unscrew the pump.
- Pry off the clips and remove the pump.
- Remove the screws securing the pump in the volute and pull out the element.
- Check the impeller for any obstructions.
- In case of a fault, install a new part.
The door won’t open
You may face this sort of a failure if some water is left in the tub. You need to remove the water manually using the drain filter. Then you may open the door.
Or the cycle is still on and the drum is rotating, so the door won’t open. Wait for the cycle to finish.
The malfunction of the door locking assembly is an affair. If that’s the case, you can fix it yourself.
Please note that the control module is possible to malfunction as well. You need a wiring diagram of your LG washing machine to troubleshoot and repair the module. In such cases, you’d better contact a repairman as the board is a complex and expensive part.
After considering the main failures of the LG direct drive washing machine, you are ready to start your repair work by MyApplianceRepairHouston.COM .